The Himachal Pradesh National Law University was established under section 3 of the Himachal Pradesh National University Act. It is the second NLU after NLU Delhi to have its own entrance test (HPNET) for admission into its undergraduate and postgraduate programs. The aim of the university is:
- To strive to be an internationally recognized leader in socially relevant legal research and education in India and Abroad.
- To provide academically excellent, time-efficient and cost-effective legal education in the extreme North of India.
- The Library at HPNLU consists of books, commentaries, reports, treatise, academic journals, proceedings, legislative and constitutional material, encyclopaedias and digests.
- B.A./B.B. A/ B.Com. LLB (Hons.)
- PG Diploma Courses
How to get into HPNLU?
The HPNLU is one of the most coveted LAW Colleges in the country and the Admission to this program is purely based on merit determined through Himachal Pradesh National Entrance Test (HPNET) conducted by the university.
For B.A./B.B. A/ B.Com. LLB (Hons.)
- Candidates should have passed 12th (10+2) examination from any recognized board with minimum 50 % (45 % for S.C/S.T. Students) in one attempt.
- Students who have appeared for their H.S.C finals and awaiting results are also eligible to apply, subject to submission of passing certificate by the announced date
- Applicants who have obtained 10+2 through Open Universities system directly without having any basic qualification are not eligible for the Law Course
- Candidates should have passed his/her undergraduate i.e. LL.B. Degree (3 years or 5 years) from any recognised University in India or foreign University recognized as equivalent under Indian Law with minimum 55% or an equivalent grade point.
- In determining equivalency, the university listed with Association of Indian Universities and any Other nodal agency which is statutorily empowered to determined equivalency will be considered.
- LL.M. Degree from any recognised University in India or Foreign University recognised as equivalent under Indian Law with minimum 55% or an equivalent marks or grade without any round-off will have to qualify through all India Entrance Exam or UGC-NET/JRF/SLET.
- Candidates who have qualified UGC-NET/JRF/SLET can directly submit research proposal without appearing in Entrance Exam.
- Having qualified through entrance test or UGC-NET/JRF/SLET candidate has to submit 'Research Proposal' which he has to defend to the satisfaction of Board of Studies in Law of this University.
For PG Diploma Courses
- Minimum qualifications shall be as follows: Graduate Degree in Law or other relevant field from any University recognized in India or Foreign University recognized as equivalent under Indian Law with a minimum of 50 %o marks in aggregate